Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Which one is better for the improvment of English?

1. dictate some drama or movie and memorize

2. learn by heart idiomatic expressions and use a lot in a conversation

3. dictate some english news and study

of course it depends on the level of students... the goal of study....
but anyway
which one is good for students or me?
sorry for my boring question

8 comments:

Kind Custie said...

Hi, Kelly.
As you know, nowadays I dictate cnn news every day because I want to improve my listening skill at first.
But if you like movies or English dramas, studying with the script of them is also a good way, I think. I like the movie "Shawshank Redemption", so I have the script and studied a little. Before that, I did it with the script of "One fine day"
Nowadays I focus on dictation of cnn news, but if I can have some time left, I want to study the script of Shawshank Redemption again.
I'm not sure if my answer will be satisfying to you...^^

Tranio said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tranio said...

Hi, Kelly.

I think listening is the most important.
Im my case, listening is poor.
I dictate to imporve my listening.
I think that dictating some English news and study is good for me.
I wish my listening would be better qucikly.

Bye.

Maria said...

Kelly~
I think, first of all, enjoying Enlighs is the priority. I heard someone say that she watched a soap opera with an Enlgish subtitle and memorized the expressions or vocabularies she hadn' known. Then, She used the expressions to her friends while talking on the phone or sending emails even thought that didn't make any sense.
So choose whatever you like, then find out your own way to enjoy English.
For me, I love to watch soap operas, so I download them to watch.
By the way, your English is quite good!!!!!

Iris(Jeong AeRi) said...

Oh, kelly...
This question is the same thing that I am in agony with. I realized that I have a lot of problems with my English ability thesedays. I think there is no royal road to learning. We can try whatever. Sorry for my borning answer. ^^;

chrisphk said...

Hello, Kelly~
You question makes me think my studying method one more time. So I really like your questions~
I think you are so good at dictations and you say your opinions very clearly using easy words and expressions like Betty~
Anyway~ In my case I can learn something when I want to do. I like to watch soap operas so these days I try to dictate it.

April said...

Hi Kelly, thanks for your question.
I think the three options are all great ideas. I've taught my students English movies for four years. I got a lot of great feedback from them. Choose anything you can enjoy. That's the best way, I think. Soap Operas or movies can help you improve your daily conversation, and news help you enrich your vocabularies. I want to dictate something like you do, but I have no energy to do that. Very sad...

Nicole said...

Hi Kelly,
Of course I think the conversation option is the best because I'm a conversation instructor. I do think that using language to communicate is better than simply writing it down for no audience. Having an audience improves motivation as well as increases a desire to correct mistakes.